Skip to main content
7:00 pm
>> that's all for us tonight. "anderson cooper" starts right now. >> hey, welcome, everyone. this is a special edition of 360. i'm anderson cooper. all week long, we're going to be trying something a little different. i'll be joined throughout the week and throughout the hour by chief correspondent, jeffrey toobin.
7:01 pm
>> they'll join us and you can join us, as well. tonight, everything we know ant the bombing plot and that we didn't know this morning. growing calls for america to stop the slaughtering in syria. and the sports story that is much bigger than the basketball court, bigger than the lead. jason collins becoming the first athlete in big sports to announce he is gay. there are many, the big headline out of there tonight, female dna was found on one of the bomb parts, we don't yet know who it came from. >> that's exactly right.
7:02 pm
reporters waiting all day seeing thooz huge bags of dna, literally labeled dna sample. it's almost done for the press, done for the photo op. clearly, they've been waiting and watching and wondering whether it was just these two boys who came up with this plot or was it somebody else? and you can see the f.b.i. and all the other investigators trying to figure out were they helped? that's really what we all want to know. >> do you feel the russians have been as cooperative as they should have been? they did give the f.b.i. and the cia information. but, at the time, they didn't tell, basically, their sources methods. >> right, indeed, the reporting right now is that the russians did not share that, nor did they surveil tamerlan when he went to
7:03 pm
dagestan, which is known as a hot bed of radical jihadist opposition to the russian government. i still see some buck passing going on here. it's not up to the russians to protect national security. it's up to our intelligence forces. so jake tapper, who i know we're going to be talking to later, his reporting says that it is very unusual for russian authorities to contact u.s. authorities. so why don't we take those contacts more seriously? >> these are people who devoted their lives to counter terrorism. they have to prior advertise. >> i so agree with you, amy. we have been living in a
7:04 pm
hyper-security environment since 1911. we have so much security. everything we do as private citizens is practically surveyed. going through the airport, where ever you want to go, not to follow up on this. the day after this bombing, anderson, we all got on the internet, we all checked youtube, facebook, we all saw all of this incriminating evidence. but they didn't carry on -- >> john miller, formerly with the fbi, was saying there's a 90 day window and if they don't find stuff, they have to legally shut down the investigation. >> if the russians told tm and they have reasons to believe that there was somebody who was radicalizes, the russians, who everyone might think and i think there's a lot of blame passing right now between the russians and the united states enforcement, but they really do know chechnya, dagestan and they know the people who are on these watches.
7:05 pm
>> and they just killed a couple of guys over the weekend. >> i think it's important to emphasize how early we are. we're still in april. we're still in the month this took place. find out who they've been in touch with and track all of that down. you can't possibly do all of that in two weeks. >> on the brothers, they were flagged in 2011. and then, as we said, again to the cia. and janet napolotano said the department of homeland security knew that he had come back. >> let's bring in jake tapper just for more investigation. he's in boston tonight. he's been working his sources all weekend. jake, what are you hearing? what's the latest? >> well, you touched on some of the information, the idea that the female dna was found on a component of the bomb and has been discussed on your panel.
7:06 pm
it doesn't necessarily mean anything, although law enforcement did take a sample from the widow of tamerlan tsarnaev. it's possible the dna whether it belongs to catherine or the daughter or someone else was attached to an ingredient -- >> right. they're saying that could be a hair from a store clerk who sold one of the ingredients. we just don't know at this point. >> right, they're just chasing down things. one of the things that investigators are very, very focused on, the components of the bomb, trying to figure out where the ingredients came from and trying to figure out whether this bomb was, although i wouldn't call it crude, but a cruder model like the kind that the ingredients are given in that magazine, "inspire. or whether the two tsarnaev
7:07 pm
brothers were alone, whether there was a bomb maker or whether there was training that went on when the older brother went to dagestan. just to offer one note on the conversation you were having earlier, about the stove piping, whether or not there was enough information-sharing going on. we had on my show, the lead the other day, a man named thomas mcnamara. it was a job created in 2004. post 9/11, in charge of making sure all the agencies shared information. he did not think everything worked the way it was supposed to. he thought that the fbi seemed to be holding onto their information too tightly, as had been the case pre-911. the russian intelligence, not only did they go to the fbi, they went to the cia in 2011. there was a lot of concern there. anderson? >> i talked to kocongressman per
7:08 pm
king the other day. he said that the fbi wasn't sharing any intelligence about tamerlan tsarnaev with the boston police department. the boston police department obviously isn't as big as the new york police department, they don't have as much counter terrorism, but you would think that would be information that local police in boston would be able to use or at least utilize in some capacity. >> wait a second. the brothers didn't even live in boston. why would they share that? >> they lived in cambridge. >> well, that's the boston narrative. >> that's the entire police department. >> really? >> yeah. >> that's why this stuff gets so complicated. cambridge is an entirely different city. >> wouldn't the boston police have tipped off the cambridge police? >> in defense of the fbi, what we do know is that the boston field office, of the fbi, was alerted to this. but, jeffrey, i have a question about the dna and collecting this from catherine russel. from what i read, it took days
7:09 pm
of negotiation from the fbi to get that dna evidence from her. is there a benign reason for that? a lot of people would say take a pint of my blood. >> and her lawyer says she's doing everything she can to cooperate. it doesn't mean she's actually cooperating. >> ultimately, she could be subpoenaed and she would have to produce the dna. so the question is why did it take so long for her to do it voluntarily. i don't know what's going on in her head. i mean, remember, this is a woman who, i assume, is either implicated or totally shocked and distraught. her husband is dead. her brother-in-law is dead. she's a very notorious figure. i don't know what's going through her head. >> one other couple gets to go to russia for six months and abandon the wife with a newborn baby and no discernible income. >> the big question, how did they get the money to carry this out? >> the story about tamerlan is that he became very muslim man,
7:10 pm
very i'm the boss, you do what i say. >> we've got to take a quick break. everyone stick arnold. we'll have more on the boston bombing and the criticism we know in washington now about the investigation. is it fair? should they have picked up on red flags? we'll be pulling up our fifth chair when our special edition of "360" continues. akes people . but i see a world bursting with opportunity, with ideas, with ambition. i'm thinking about china, brazil, india. the world's a big place. i want to be a part of it. ishares international etfs. emerging markets and single countries. find out why nine out of ten large professional investors choose ishares for their etfs. ishares by blackrock. call 1-800-ishares for a prospectus, which includes investment objectives, risks, charges and expenses. read and consider it carefully before investing. risk includes possible loss of principal.
7:11 pm
i really like your new jetta! and you want to buy one like mine because it's so safe, right? yeah... yeah... i know what you've heard -- iihs top safety pick for $159 a month -- but, i wish it was more dangerous, like a monster truck or dune buggy! you can't have the same car as me! [ male announcer ] now everyone's going to want one. let's get a jetta. [ male announcer ] volkswagen springtoberfest is here and there's no better time to get a jetta. that's the power of german engineering. right now lease one of four volkswagen models for under $200 a month. visit vwdealer.com today. why are 8 million people why are 8 million people sleeping better tonight? they went to a sleep number store. the only place in the world you'll find the sleep number bed with dual air technology. it allows each of you to adjust to the support your body needs. you'll only find sleep number at one of our over 400 stores nationwide, where queen mattresses start at just $699. and for those who sleep hot or cool, now save $500 on our temperature-balancing memory foam bed set.
7:12 pm
sleep number. comfort. individualized. try e-mail marketing from constantcontact. it's the fastest, easiest way to create great-looking custom e-mails that bring customers through your door. sign up for your free trial today
7:13 pm
at constantcontact.com/try. welcome back to this special edition of "ac 360." >> now we're filling in the fifth chair, tonight, pleased to have andrew sullivan. you can find it at andrewsullivan.com. we want to pick up the confers about the boston bombing. first of all, you're joining the conversation. do you feel red flags were missed? or is it monday morning quarterbacking? >> i think it's monday morning quarterbacking. i don't think, as yet, we have any firm evidence to any ties to any terrorists nitwork. we don't have any solid evidence that it wasn't self-motivated. >> although, every explosive expert i've talked to and former
7:14 pm
fbi-made explosive said it's not as easy to just do this off the internet. >> it's not as easy, but that's not to say it's from a terrorist organization. >> and three people were killed. i'm not minimizing it, but god knows how many people die every day of street violence. i do think, frankly, obsessing about this particular incident kind of helps terror. >> how so? >> i don't think we should shut down an entire american city because two losers had a couple of pressure cooker bombs. i grew up in a country, england, where bombs went off all of the time as i grew up. margaret thatcher, her own hotel was bombed. her own cabinet was dragged out of the rubble. what did she do? she got up the next morning and gave a speech at the convention. now, she's margaret thatcher. she's got cajones. but, nonetheless -- >> i remember being in israel a
7:15 pm
few years ago, and there was a suspected package on the street, bomb squad showed up, removed the device and everyone applaud. >> one of the bombs in a restaurant in israel and the rest rant was opened the an ex day. life goes on. i think it was a fantastic and enormous overreaction. i think we should let this take its course and stop obsessing about it. the only way to ke feet terror is to look it in the eye and get bored by it. it's the only things they're afraid of. >> wait a second, that's not the only way. >> how about if you were in
7:16 pm
boston that day by gunfire? >> these two gentlemen were on their way to new york city. >> i mean, that's very sketchy evidence. that's based on the alleged carjacking victim and, also, their interpretation of this guy's comment. >> but they didn't suicide bomb themselves. they planted the bomb so they could live for another day. of course we would want to apprehend these two people. we are already capable of tremendous and malicious and dooef yent violence. i take the terrorist threat seriously, i guess i do. >> look, no one is in favor of ki but three casualties, three actual fatalities is not a huge terror incident, in global terms at all. the same day, 65 people were killed in iraq by a single bomb. >> we did grow up in england, you had the ira. it was all over the place. i absolutely understand what
7:17 pm
you're saying. i do, however, am still obsessed in what are hyper-security conscious world. i cannot believe that this guy was on a cia watch list. i cannot believe it. and he slipped through the cracks. and anybody -- how come when we do googling or this or thatting and, you know, if we do a suspicious word or whatever, you can latch onto it. these guys had terrorists jihad officials. how come it didn't trigger anybody? >> because we happen to live in a free country. >> what i find amaze about them is they just went home!
7:18 pm
what do you mean? back to classes? working out? >> that's why i don't think we are going to find an extremely sophisticated conspiracy. this was a pretty bumbling operation. now, i don't mean to minimize the damage they did. but they obviously had no escape plan. >> there's obviously now a lot of politics swirling around the this, but you're hering from peter king saying that the mir r miranda rights should not have been read when they were. the investigation went on for 16-18 hours. >> i think that's nonsense. i think the fbi and the justice department behaved entirely appropriately. >> the supreme court never set a limit for this. at the very time that they were saying that the public safety
7:19 pm
kpengs, the authorities were saying go back to work, everything is fine. you can't really have it both ways. 16-18 hours of interrogation is not a short interrogation. they did a lot of questioning of this guy and then they gave him the miranda warnings. >> we still do live in almost a free country. that is what is supposed to happen. >> he is an american citizen. >> he is an american citizen, captured on american soil. the comparison is jose padilla who was seized and portured brutally for a year and a half until he was incapable of thinking straight. that's the alternative. that's what we lived under. at least that's not happening.
7:20 pm
>>. >> what are you hearing now from folks on capitol hill? >> this is unbelievable, probably not surprising. it really has followed the whole question that you were just talking about of reading miranda rights on partial lines. right away, this is the right thing to do. this is a free country and this is the way a free society should go. even those who were very reluctant to get political on this issue are being much more aggressive saying this is the wrong thing to do. and i'm not talking about republicans who are briefed on intelligence and have inside information about how the investigation is going are not happy at all. about these miranda rights. the one thing i want to say about the stove piping issue, that's another thing that has become completely partisan.
7:21 pm
i talked to diane finestein. it's sad, it's probably not surprising, but it is unbelievable, how quickly it's happened. >> what's sad to me is the republican right are forever telling us that the constitution is their sacred text. it's not a debatable question whether this guy could be held incompetent. it is against the constitution of the yiet to do that. if they want to rip the constitution up, at the slightest hint of terrorism -- >> but something that concerns me is the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing. >> they were completely surprised. >> why aren't you defending the constitution? >> i am defending the constitution.
7:22 pm
jeffrey, i have a question for you, as a lawyer, my understanding is that detained suspects don't have a right to have the miranda rights read to them. they have those rights and they can choose to exercise them. i know it's a little bit of parsing here, but are authorities allowed to terrorize suspects because of the public danger exception? >> he was intergalted. >> he was interrogated for 16 hours. >> we still haven't gone through his e-mails, his computer records. we don't know the truth of his statements. >> it's quite clear you can't do a wall-to-wall interrogation of someone who has not received their miranda warnings. that is just not guilty something -- >> you can't use that information cleaned in a criminal prosecution. >> that's all miranda does, anyway.
7:23 pm
if you get -- if you make statements that are without your miranda warnings, the government can use those to investigate other people and follow other leads. but they just can't use it against you. >> correct. we vnt done a thorough investigation of just how far this goes. >> the objection is the rule, since 1966 has been if you are arrested, you get miranda warnings. period. end of story. now, this came up in 1984 and has been expanded by the obama administration. but the rule is miranda. >> we've got to take a break. you can join the conversation, just tweet using hash tag ac360. chemical tags in syria are
7:24 pm
ratcheting up calls for some kind of help. but what can the u.s. really do? we'll be right back. when our little girl was born, we got a subaru. it's where she said her first word. (little girl) no! saw her first day of school. (little girl) bye bye! made a best friend forever. the back seat of my subaru is where she grew up. what? (announcer) designed for your most precious cargo. (girl) what? (announcer) the all-new subaru forester. love. it's what makes a subaru, a subaru.
7:25 pm
7:26 pm
♪ male narrator: there's something positive being generated in california. when ordinary energy is put in the hands
7:27 pm
of extraordinary people, amazing things happen. the kind of things that drive us to do more, to go further, to be better. we're dedicated to being a company you can count on, because you've always been customers we believe in. your energy plus ours. together, there's no limit to what we can achieve. welcome back. you're looking at a live shot over hong kong. john mccain turned up the pressure on president obama to intervene in the syrian war. all that after last week, the white house said that basha
7:28 pm
bashar alasaad probably used chemical weapons, but they said it was a small amount. it does seem to contradict what president obama said earlier about a red line that the regime couldn't cross. >> i keep feeling i've seen this movie before in bosnia. and i really do liken syria to bosnia, not libya and all the other. bosnia. in bosnia, the united states did not want to accept there was an ethnic cleansing or genocide going on. all sides were equally guilty. it took a final massacre. it has been tried and they've been charged with genocide, the culprits. here, 70,000 casualties, two years later and the president laid down not just his red line, but the kper national communities red line. also, the president doesn't like it.
7:29 pm
it is a violation of the laws of war. it's a crime that the world has to deal with. i was interviewed and i have been doing this for weeks and months. and this week, we have had two eyewitnesss, basically, inside syria who have told us about what they saw about five of these attacks over the last several months. urine samples, blood samples. >> so, so, so thus what? >>. >> we're not even talking about action. right now, we're having the international community who is somehow reluctant to admit that one of the highest crimes under international law is being committed. they've taken this to u.s. officials. >> it's all well to stand there.
7:30 pm
>> people in the united states do not want any more justifiably. it doesn't have to be al-qaida. it's evil or we can't do it. there are others who have been put up. there are syrian forces. >> it's a very professional fighting force, you're right. and it has now taken on that ideology. however, it is not to say that all the rebels are like that. and the sad thing here is -- >> how do you do some and not the others? >> andrew, listen. that is true. that is absolutely true. people have come out of that.
7:31 pm
the united states have come out of there. >> yeah, it's a problem. you can't say that the wmd failure in the iraq war which is all about is there or isn't there, can be the litmus test for here where it's being used. >> the litmus test is do you go into a country which is split along sectarian lines in which every party is armed. and, somehow, manage to bring peace without becoming essentially trapped in a quagmire. you're going from boston to syria in between iraq because they're not the same. >> you can arm the rebels. >> i do want to bring in our guest for greater action, let's stop the slaughter. you and i have talked about this a lot. to sullivan's question, what do you do? how do you do something?
7:32 pm
>> first of all, u you don't put boots on the ground, nor do any of us. i would like to point out that mr. sullivan, with respect to two years ago, those who were against intervention said all kinds of bad things would happen if we intervene. all of this would happen because we didn't intervene. to turn a blind eye of 70,000 missing while we standby and watch is an offense against everything america stands for and believes in. we could take out the syrian air on the ground with cruise missiles and we could depend on a safe area with pay troet missiles and other capableties. we give them a safe area, we let them have a benghazi where they can get the weapons to the right people and lead the people of syria out of this terrible situation.
7:33 pm
he used scud missiles against his own people. i do think, as christiano said, there is against their own people. and finally, on a national security standpoint, it would be the greatest blow to iran in 25 years if arasaad fell and right now, it's destabilizing greater threats to the existence of israel. there's no doubt about it. >> it's so funny, senator, to say this might help teherdatehe. that's exactly the argument that eye used in favor of the iraq war. and we're not going in there
7:34 pm
because of iran. i heard many people say it. >> it may have been a part of it. albeit it was a false one was weapons of mass instruction. the fact is that the -- that syrians, now, are probably using them. there's no reason why bashe basher asaad wouldn't piece on everything else. if you're willing to standby and watch people be massacred and murdered and the yiet isn't doing anything, that's your point. i ri can guarantee you that the syrians will not forget that we didn't help them. see these children? these children will take revenge on those who didn't help.
7:35 pm
>> this is amy holmes here. and i think we all share the horror with this administration. it would take 75,000 troops on the ground to secure those chemical weapons sights. i think it has to be an international effort. i do not know if -- it's one thing to have people -- and, by the way, 75,000 is a gross exaggeration, as the pentagon has a tendency to do. >> if you keep interrupting, you know, sort of typical rudeness is what we are experiencing
7:36 pm
here. i'm not interrupting mr. sullivan. the fact is we can go in there and use cruise missiles, we can use weapons. obviously, this is a very, very serious issue and one we have to address from an international viewpoint. >> what about the front aligned with iraq? those who say pouring weapons into syria, no matter who you're giving them to, we don't know where they koud end up. they could coordinate with the people we want to have the weapons.
7:37 pm
the fact is, they're the bravest and the most effective. we know that. the only way you can ensure that we can get those weapons to the right people is to have a government right there on the ground. by the way, incredibly, speaking of our military, a year ago he wanted to arm the resis tense. but, now, we don't know who to get it to. isn't that an admission of colossal failure of american policy? >> it is, senator. and all of us to think that we're here two years into this. i remember former president clinton a year ago saying, you know, if it's left, the bad actors will step in and they will fill the vacuum. the reason they're getting weapons is because they're getting it from all sorts of various sources. there is an arms embargo on syria right now. do you know what that means? just like it did in bosnia, the
7:38 pm
syrian military have the arms. so they're here, tied with their hands tied behind their backs. >> why is it over? >> because they've got arms. >> not many of them. not enough. they just have it. >> and incredibly, they say they're able to get -- they say they're able to get the human tear aid to the right people. but they can't get the arms to the right people. is there any logic to that? >> senator, good to have you with us. >> i remember you challenging then-senator clinton. >> this is one thing that cannot be allowed to stand. it's genocide. it's not a little argument. >> do you think the united states might address its own problems first? before it starts meddling into a
7:39 pm
war? >> do you remember in 1980s, iraq invaded iran. what did they do? he had a green light. >> did you live through the iraq war? >> no, the iran iraq war. were you there? >> i was there that day. i'm just saying to you, you act like senator mccain, like the iraq war never happened. >> no, andrew, you're wrong. the argument that the united states made for iraq was, number one, weapons of mass destruction didn't exist. but, further more, they didn't have a huge invasion plan. this is not like putting boots on the ground.
7:40 pm
>> do you really want to keep putting it that way? >> yes. >> how about a safe area? >> so we're now creating a safe haven in syria? >> let me just explain somethin they're already there. it was a safe area over the curds. who are the most successful people in iran? with the demoacy, with a functioning economy? the curds. >> we'll continue this on commercial break and on twitter. a very big day for not just pro-sports, but for society. a professional athlete comes out. essentially, he is gay. we'll talk about that when we come back. i even wrote a play about that. my symptoms were a pain in my abdomen
7:41 pm
and periods that were heavier and longer than usual for me. if you have symptoms that last two weeks or longer, be brave, go to the doctor. ovarian and uterine cancers are gynecologic cancers. symptoms are not the same for everyone. i got sick...and then i got better. try e-mail marketing from constantcontact. it's the fastest, easiest way to create great-looking custom e-mails that bring customers through your door. sign up for your free trial today at constantcontact.com/try.
7:42 pm
7:43 pm
welcome back, the conversation continues. >> anderson, police are searching for the sudden death of an 8-year-old girl in her northern california home over the weekend. police say her and her brother were home alone on saturday when he saw an intruder leaving the house and found his sister stabbed to death. police are tracking down dozens of leads they're getting from a tipline. accused of selling laced letters to president obama, a senator and a judge.
7:44 pm
james agradusky is being held without bond. he was arrested after charges were dropped against the first suspect in the case. the s&p 500 closes at a record high with technology stocks fuelling the rally. they finished the day with 1,594. from mexi amazing video shot by a florida couple on vacation. 20 killer whales followed their sea diving boat, jumping and playing in the boat's wake for about an hour. anderson, some pictures there to make you hop, skip and joy. >> and they need a bigger boat, as i said earlier. >> what ever happened to him? did he die? he was so good, remember? he was everywhere. >> he was in every movie. >> some are equating jason collins of the nba did today with jackie robinson. collins became the first
7:45 pm
openly-gay male proathlete actively on a team. we'll talk about it.
7:46 pm
email marketing from constant contact reaches people in a place they're checking every day -- their inbox. and it gives you the tools to create custom emails that drive business.
7:47 pm
it's just one of the ways constant contact can help you grow your small business. sign up for your free trial today at constantcontact.com/try.
7:48 pm
7:49 pm
welcome back. some headlines from around the country, including that last one, the sports page of the "washington post" where jason collins played last season. today, he came out in an essay for "sports illustrated." he's the first openly gay athlete currently playing a major sport. he's been getting support from all kinds of athletes, president obama and the first lady. short tweeted his reaction to the response today saying all the support i have received today is truly inspirational. i knew i was traveling the road truly less traveled, but i'm not walking it alo. it's a wonderful thing for three reasons. he gets a home from a base in which he can launch and advance his own career.
7:50 pm
secondly, he's african american. and he made a point of saying that. and, in terms of shifting cultural attitudes, that is a wonderful and positive thing to do. and, thirdly, he's still going to play, which means he's going to have to play -- >> he's a free agent. he's not a star. >> it's not an occasion for him to quit. it's an occasion for him to continue and it's an occasion for him, maybe, to go into that arena and deal with homophobia on a mass level. people do that all of the time. >> it sounds like he was living a life where he didn't have a relationship. he was talking about going home and being with his dog because
7:51 pm
he was afraid of other people finding out. >> i spoke with jane king today -- >> i was going to mention her first. >> well, she's fantastic. i'm so thrilled that he wasn't outed and he did it on his own terms. for her, he was outed and he confirmed it. and she said i'm really filled about this. and, again, from england, we had garis thomas, the rugby player. he came out. is he still playing? i don't think so. >> it was a time when it was a lot more perilous than it is today. >> i think the greatest thing about today's story may be ultimately that it's not that big a story. >> though, it is a big story. >> every evening newscast -- >> it is a big story. but in terms of will he face a
7:52 pm
backlash, will he get booed in stadiums, will he have problems with teammates? my guess is no. >> i think that's a really interesting point. the story is not being made with controversy, but rather with applause for this young man. >> i don't know, did you read twitter today? >> oi don't read twitter at all. >> a, why is it people are always throwing this in our face, which, for me, doesn't hold much walter. but also saying why are we even talking about this? this is nobody's business. >>. >> this is all about masculinity. i'll get in trouble for saying this, but for some reason, lesbians in sport are slightly more acceptable.
7:53 pm
>> apparently, a really tough player on the basketball court. >> this is about challenging the notion that being a gay man is not being a man. right? he's a big guy and a tough player. that, in itself, even in this day and age, a lot of people haven't really grappled about that. >> that's the thing. you and i talked about this movie last year and in the preview, they made a joke and said oh, that's so gay. you can go to movies and people still use the "f" word. if they use any other slur, based on race or anything else, it would be completely unacceptable. that rutgers coach was using anti-gay slurs o and nobody did anything about it. i'm not so sure that's so gay
7:54 pm
means homosexual anymore. gld so why does it mean lame? why is gay lame? >> there's a connection there. but people are using these terms. >> i didn't think you would say that. >> i don't have a problem. >> would you say that's so jewish? or that's so irish of you? >>es if i got drunk one night, someone may say that to me. do i give a damn? no. >> but it's easy for you -- because there are kids in schools who are, you know, getting bullied and stuff. and teachers aren't saying anything. you go to the movies -- did you ever go to eddie murphy concert? i remember going and watching them on hbo. and the slurs he was throwing around made you want to shrink
7:55 pm
out of the theater. i think it's a strange thing. look, i'm not one to tell people when to come out. but i do think, for me, a lot of it had to do in my own mind, with traveling to dangerous places and also not wanting to be the story. i didn't want to arrive at some place and have it be an issue. >> actually -- >> i think that what he's doing, like, this positive reinforcement of gay people in the plic square is much more effective in combatting this than policing people's speech. >> i think there are tendencies for gay people not to come out. >> i think he's doing it in a modern way where he doesn't want his race or sexual orientation
7:56 pm
to follow him. >> he's a beautiful writer. >> we've got to leave it there. we'll be right back. woman: everyone in the nicu -- all the nurses wanted to watch him when he was there 118 days. everything that you thought was important to you changes in light of having a child
7:57 pm
that needs you every moment. i wouldn't trade him for the world. who matters most to you says the most about you. at massmutual we're owned by our policyowners, and they matter most to us. if you're caring for a child with special needs, our innovative special care program offers strategies that can help.
7:58 pm
a brand new start. your chance to rise and shine. with centurylink as your trusted technology partner, you can do just that. with our visionary cloud infrastructure, global broadband network and custom communications solutions, your business is more reliable - secure - agile. and with responsive, dedicated support, we help you shine every day of the week.
7:59 pm
blank. welcome back. how is the web site doing? >> it's doing great. we're actually profitable in our first year. >> so you can still click and read the web site? >> most of it. but if you want to sub krieb, it's 1.$1.99 a month and $99 a year. >> wait a second, what's the url? >> sullivan.com. >> andrew, great to have you on. thank you very much, jeff toobin and -- >> no, i was just taking a breath. thank you for watching. amy is on "the blaze" tv? >> yes, i am. >> joining me every night this week at 10:00. also, regular "ac 360" is at
8:00 pm
8:00. thanks for joining us, bye, bye. >> out front next, breaking news, investigators say they have found female dna on a bomb that was detonated in boston. this news comes from the very same day that police spent 90 minutes at the home of tamerlan tsarnaev. the mysterious man is found and speaks. let's go out front.

tv
Anderson Cooper 360
CNN April 29, 2013 7:00pm-8:01pm PDT

News/Business. (2013) (CC)

TOPIC FREQUENCY Boston 13, Us 9, Syria 9, Fbi 8, Bosnia 5, United States 4, Subaru 3, Cia 3, U.s. 3, Iraq 3, Cambridge 3, Israel 3, England 3, Dagestan 3, Jason Collins 3, Washington 2, California 2, Margaret Thatcher 2, Mr. Sullivan 2, Teherdatehe 1
Network CNN
Duration 01:01:00
Scanned in Richmond, CA, USA
Source Comcast Cable
Tuner Channel v759
Video Codec mpeg2video
Audio Cocec ac3
Pixel width 1920
Pixel height 1080
Sponsor Internet Archive
Audio/Visual sound, color


disc Borrow a DVD of this show
info Stream Only
Uploaded by
TV Archive
on 4/30/2013
Views
78